maanantai 15. elokuuta 2011

Albania: Bunkers like Mushrooms

I traveled to Albania to see these colorful houses in Tirana:




The buildings have been painted as the result of a project organised by the capital's mayor, an artist called Edi Rama. He wanted to make people happier by making their surroundings prettier. I think it works. What a good project, as he also managed to attract at least one tourist - me. Otherwise I wouldn't have gone to Albania, as it wasn't actually on my list.

But I also saw these, and several more, bunkers:



They are the result of Enver Hoxha's project to repel invasion, his concrete legacy, built from 1950 to 1985. These little mushrooms looked so funny on the beaches and hillsides. "Some are creatively painted, but most are just eyesores with no further use; that said, quite a few Albanians will admit to losing their virginity in the security of one, and the bunkers also seem to make handy public toilets", says my Lonely Planet guidebook.

Once again, I had a super nice CouchSurfing host. He took me to some of the most beautiful places in Albania. Actually, maybe he was testing how adventurous I am... First he took me to this dark and muddy cave at the end of which some bats live:


Then we descended a steep and difficult slope to find this amazing spot for swimming in a canyon:



We also had a short beach holiday: we drove to the South (Dhërmi and Drymades) and camped by the sea for a couple of days. Relaxing in the sun, swimming in the sea, exploring behind the rocks on the beach...

1 kommentti:

  1. p.s. I'm already back home. Back to the routine; back to work. I didn't have time to update my blog at the end of my trip, but I'll still try to put at least some photos from Montenegro as well as Bosnia and Herzegovina.

    VastaaPoista